Saturday, December 16, 2006

Movie: {Proof} (3/5 stars)

Proof is about a mathematical proof. For a movie about math, you thought that there would be more lucid math discussions, but seeing as this is a hollywood movie and they have to give this to a broad audience, I guess I get why they left it out.

Gwyneth Paltrow plays the daughter of a world famous mathematician (yes, these people do exist) Anthony Hopkins. Jake Gyllenhaal plays the love interest and math student who hangs around (he plays Hal - that's important).

I liked almost everything about this movie - the acting was good (although I've seen Paltrow much better - Hopkins is his normal self), the writing, directing, dialog and the math nerd band playing "i" were brilliant. However, the one thing that I didn't like really took a toll on the movie. The editing was horrible and you never quite know if you are in the present or one of the many pasts involved in the story line.

The flashbacks have the same look and feel as the present, so it was never obvious until a couple of minutes into the scene where you were. This throws off my ability to immerse myself into the movie and I kept getting pulled back into my living room. It was annoying and detracted seriously.

Still, I feel it was ultimately worth watching and was enjoyable overall. There were some really funny scenes in this movie and it was a shade short of a comedy. I don't think it will change your life however, so if you're looking for a movie with real impact, look elsewhere.

No comments: